OUTDOOR ART CONTEST | SAT, OCT 7, 2017 Discover ART in Beaverton!
Discover ART in Beaverton!
We are excited to kick-off the weekend at the Beaverton Arts Mix! (BAM!) Art Show and Sale, with our FUN Beaverton QUICK DRAW & CHALK DRAW event. We invite artists to discover Beaverton and show us what they see while Beaverton folks discover and witness ART happening in their community. This event takes place simultaneous to the regular Farmer’s Market, drawing more than 10,000 attendees.
QUICK DRAW & CHALK DRAW welcomes seedling and seasoned artists. Artists do not need to be considered a professional to participate. Artists that register will choose to participate in either the Quick Draw or the Chalk Draw.
There are three locations: Beaverton City Library, City Park, or the Farmer’s Market. There will be Figurative Tableau Vivant at the Library (staged posing of models, or “living picture.”) The models will pose a scene from the Beaverton Civic Theatre’s December play Annie. Artists may capture all or part of the scene for their art piece.
There is no consignment fee. Art works will be hung through Sunday, October 8, 2017 at the BAM! Art Show and Sale. Art work can be sold at the show through the end of the event on Sunday, October 8, 2017.
PRIZES | QUICK DRAW + CHALK DRAW
$500 Best in Show | $300 Honorable Mention | $200 People’s Choice
SCHEDULE | SAT, OCT 7
8:30 – 9:30 AM
- Registration & Check-in @ City Library Conference room
- Artist set up at one of three locations
- Models strike pose for artist set-up at City Library location
- Models break
- Quick & Chalk Draws begin!
- Quick & Chalk Draws end
OCT 7 – 8
- Quick & Chalk Draw art will be on display and for sale at the show
- Artists may enter one piece.
- The piece may be of any subject matter within the competition boundaries.
- Quick Draw (QD) artists may choose any style or media that does not use electronic or photographic devices.
- Chalk Draw (CD) artists must use chalk, and will be supplied one 2’ x 2’ piece of cardboard for their artwork.
- Artists may choose any of these locations (“Annie” figurative under tree at City Library, Farmers Market or the City Park area.)
- All QD pieces are required to be “hang-ready,” with picture wire hanging on the back (hanging hooks or saw tooth hangers are not acceptable).
- EXCEPTION: Chalk Draw work on the 2’ x 2’ cardboard will NOT be required to be hang ready.
- QD artwork must be framed or presented on wrapped canvas with wiring for judging and hanging. If you will be framing, for best results, prepare the frame components ahead of time. Bring all tools and components needed to finish the piece. There will not be a supply kit available.
- All contestant’s art will be on display and for sale at the art show, OCT 7 – OCT 8.
- Artists will receive 100% of all sales.
- Artists will pick-up unsold art SUN | OCT 8, 5 – 7 PM, at City Library. If you are unable to be there it is your responsibility to make arrangements for pick-up.
- There is no minimum age requirement (youth 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult)
- Artists do not need to be a professional
- QD: toned canvas or paper is allowed with a very basic wash
- Artists do not have to enter their artwork for the competition.
REGISTRATION & CHECK IN
- No fee, this event is free. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Swag bags for the first 20 QD & CD registrants that pre-register
- SAT – OCT 7 | 8:30 – 9:30 AM | On-site registration day of the event
- Location: Beaverton City Library @ 12375 SW 5th St, 97005
- All participants must check-in & have the back of their surfaces stamped before starting at 10 AM
- CHECK-IN & REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED | 8:30 – 9:30 AM
- Competition begins at 10 AM and ends at 12 PM
- There will be timekeepers stationed at each location
JUDGING CRITERIA & WINNERS
- All pieces entered for competition will be judged for composition, technique, content, and originality
- Prize winners will be personally notified, and posted online at BeavertonOregon.gov/BAM
- Prize money will be mailed to the prize winners by check
This program is intended to support rare or unexpected opportunities, especially for emerging artists, students, or organizations new to the grant-making process. Projects could include workshops, art classes, or art activities that serve Beaverton residents.
Who: Students, individual artists, and arts and culture organizations who serve the Beaverton community. Beaverton schools and libraries are also eligible to apply.
What: This grant program is intended to provide support outside of the annual Beaverton community grant cycle for unanticipated events or opportunities.
Amount: Up to $500 per applicant. Only one request per individual or organization will be funded each calendar year. Applicants who receive a Beaverton community grant in this cycle will not be eligible for the diverse art offerings grant.
Applications Due: Accepted now through December 31, or until all grant funds are expended.
Applicants Notified: Depends on application date
Activity Dates: All funded activities must take place by December 31, 2017.